Friday, June 22, 2012

DRJ#2 Act II


            This act made me infuriated because it was so scandalous! Scandalous because Iago sets up Cassio and Cassio is stripped from his title. Iago reminds me of people that I don't associate my self with anymore. Those kind of people that will manipulate people to get the things they want.  I can relate myself to Cassio in the sense that he means no ill will to anyone but is somehow caught in the middle of a dilemma he has no control of.  
            Cassio is a respectful kind of character. The exact opposite of Iago. Readers realize this when Iago talks badly about woman in front of Desdemona and the others. Cassio, on the other hand, refers to Desdemona as divine and tells her that Iago speaks bluntly like a soldier rather than like a scholar. This shows that Cassio has only but respect for woman. Cassio's only flaw is that he is gullible.We find this out when Iago convinces Cassio to get drunk and to ask Desdemona to help him get his title back. 
            Shakespeare uses his characters to show the negative effects of jealousy on others. Jealousy can cause people to do hurtful things. For example Iago explains his envious fueled strategy; "For whiles this honest fool plies Desdemona to repair his fortunes, and she for him pleads strongly to the Moor, I'll pour this pestilence into his ear, that she repeals him for her body's lust...And out of her own goodness make the net that shall enmesh them all" (1196). Jealousy has blinded Iago's sense of virtue and will only hurt everyone wrapped up in his hateful web that he has spun. Hopefully people can take from this play that they need to be careful with the ones they trust and to not let jealousy get the best of them! It only causes harmful effects. 

7 comments:

  1. Great topic sentence, really flows and delivers the lit. element clearly. Great example as well, and while reading the support in your theme analysis i felt like you were describing revenge rather than jealousy. Only because from your evidence i didnt get the feel that Iago wanted to be Othello, but rather destroy his relationship. But I can totally see jealousy and with the example you gave, just maybe tie in how or why Iago was jealous. The structure of your analysis is great and will work real nice as a paragraph in an essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you started your journal off! I also thought it was very scandalous. I would be frustrated if I was fired from my position just by doing something so stupid. I definitely agree with your characterization of Cassio. He is nothing like Iago. I love how you use the example of Iago talking bad about women and how Cassio respects women. Iago is very jealous of Cassio and his position but I agree with Kiefer. To me it seemed like you were mostly describing revenge from Iago rather than jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you're saying, but the quote doesn't fit. It should be a quote of Iago blaming the Moor or Cassio for his losses rather than his procedure to take revenge on Othello. I alike the rest of your work though. Your character analysis is pretty spot on about Cassio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you related yourself to a character in the story. You made it real clear what you think about Cassio and the other characters who wanted to cause harm to him. I agree with how you say that Cassio is gullible. He seems to be too nice to realize there are people who do mean to cause harm to others. I also wanna add how this may prove that Iago may have been better at taking the position as leutenant because we can clearly see that he has a strong mindset needed to be a leader in a war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your analogy of your life situation to Shakespeare's play is very clever. I'm the same way, you just drift yourself apart from the people that won't do you any good to save yourself from failure. I also like how you viewed Cassio as a good character since in the play, he wasn't too likable because of his acts towards Desdemona. And I also agree with your idea of Shakespeare's use of character. He did give justice to Iago's true personality. Through the use of character he successfully show how can a man do such selfish acts just because of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt bad that Casio lost everything just like that. He knew his weakness, and even told who he thought was to be his friend. That was his mistake. That whole saying of keep your friends close but your enemies closer means a lot in this story. He was set up and made to look a complete fool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think because of the position of power that Cassio is in and, as you said, his being gullible that is leaves him vulnerable. It just goes to show the power that jealousy can have. Even though Cassio and Othello really had no reason to be jealous, Iago was able to stir up cause for jealousy in them. They were both in a position of power and Othello fell particularly hard because he fell into this trap of jealousy that Iago created.

    ReplyDelete