Friday, June 29, 2012

DRJ #3 Othello, Act 3


            Act three reminded me of one of my friends who suspected that her boyfriend was being unfaithful. All her insecurities made her believe he was cheating on her but she had no oracular proof. Othello and my friend shared this same predicament. Othello and my friend need to learn not listen what other people say and find out for themselves!

            Desdemona is a character of innocence and virtue. She is perceived as unfaithful to Othello but only because of the deceitful lies Iago is spreading about her. Desdemona’s fatal flaw is that she cares too much for others. By trying to help her good friend Cassio other characters, like Iago, take advantage of this and use it against her. Showing that you care for someone doesn’t necessarily mean that they are having an affair with them. Desdemona fits well in Aristotle’s concept of a tragic hero because she is good, appropriate, life like, consistent and not a masculine woman like aristotle says.

            Shakespeare’s use of symbolism illustrates the effects that love can have on a person. A perfect example of this is when Desdemona loses her handkerchief. The handkerchief was Othello’s first gift to Desdemona. The gift represents the love that Desdemona and Othello have for each other. When Othello found out that his gift was lost he thought Desdemona’s love for him was lost as well. Othello wants the hander kerchief back and says, “Fetch me the handkerchief! My mind misgives.” This shows that Othello’s insecurities are starting to get the best of him. His fear of losing the one he loves is now becoming a reality to him.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent example about your friends relationship as I think that it ties directly into this play. It is a weird human nature for people to become insecure about relationships without any ample proof. Sometimes I think as a society we are overly paranoid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you can always relate the stories and plays to your life, I wish i'm that clever! But I totally agree on your point of how love can affect people. It just can't change personalities, but can also trigger some emotion-based actions. I also agree that Desdemona fits well in Aristotle's description of a tragic hero.

    ReplyDelete